Thursday, August 4, 2011

Spiced Coconut Chicken Curry

From Spice by Christine Manfield page 165


Wow what an unusual dish! Maybe because of the modifications that I made or that's just maybe the way it is...

The dish is a coconut curry but calls for fresh grated coconut rather than coconut cream or milk.

I didn't have fresh grated coconut handy so I've used dry grated coconut and tried to re-hydrate it to make the equivalent.



The result was that the texture was quite unusual - very grainy as the coconut seemed to take in the moisture but retained its shape through much processing and cooking. At the very same time the flavours were great though, in the style of a really well balanced curry.



This is the first time I cooked with coconut oil. The smell is very different, or perhaps just very unfamiliar, so initially I thought maybe I'd broken something. Thankfully we had a friend over who just happened to grow up in India and is thus very familiar with the smell of coconut oil, and reassured me that everything was still on track.



The curry is slow cooked which seemed to soften the chicken nicely and develop the flavours well.

Happy cooking!

No comments: