Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pizza Sauce

 
One of my favourite things to cook and to eat is pizza.

Before I move onto dough here's my recipe for pizza sauce.

I've tried a lot of different recipes for pizza sauce and have found that the old rule still applies - the simple things are often the best.

Ingredients

 
  • One 400g can of whole peeled Italian tomatoes.
  • 100g of tomato paste.
  • 1 tablespoon of sumac
  • 2 cloves of diced garlic.
  • Drizzle of olive oil.
  • A few leaves of fresh basil.

Process

 
Combine all of the ingredients and process in a blender or using a stab mixer.

Will make enough sauce for 4 large pizzas or 6 small.

You can make this the night before and keep it in the fridge. The flavour does develop a little more but it doesn't seem to last much longer than a day.

Sumac is a middle-eastern spice which has a deep red colour and a lemon flavour - fantastic for pizza sauce. My discovery of sumac for pizza sauce was rather accidental. I was planning on trying sweet paprika in pizza sauce one day and had run out. I had a few bags of sumac - only because I had bought it from the local green-grocer to get my purchase over the $10.- eftpos limit. I'd never seen it previously and never really heard of it but just grabbed it off the shelf because I liked the look of it. Once I tried it in pizza sauce I was hooked and I've been using it ever since.

Serendipity I think they call it.
 

1 comment:

Tri Q Tran said...

I will definitely use your recipe the next time I make pizza.