Thursday, October 20, 2011

Turmeric Rice

From Spice by Christine Manfield page 213



I didn't quite have a banana leaf to wrap this in so it had to go in a bowl. Mind you now that Mrs Underground Cook has aquired and planted a couple of banana trees I might do that next time.

I've never infused that much turmeric into anything at one time. It gave off an amazing musky smell while it was simmering in the stock. Later I realised why they call it a spice. The turmeric in the rice gave me a slight chilli-like tingle on the tongue.

It seems important to stir the rice as it's cooking as the recipe mentioned. Here you're really 'cooking' the rice, not just getting it to absorb the water. I think those little grains find it harder to absorb the liquid when it contains all that coconut milk.

Could possibly have had more rice to liquid ratio as it did seem a little over cooked or wet but it was still great.

Happy cooking!

No comments: